Salary, Exempt. Five-day work week Tuesday to Saturday. Position includes school vacation weeks, some holiday and evening hours.
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks an innovative and creative Assistant Exhibit Manager to contribute to department leadership and the team-led creation of indoor and outdoor interpretive exhibits. The EcoTarium resides on a sprawling 40-acre campus which contains one main building and nine out buildings including animal enclosures and a small gauge railroad. The main building contains three floors of exhibitry designed by our in-exhibits team which incorporates live animals, interactive exhibit components and natural history specimens.
This position assists the Manager of Exhibit with coordinating facility maintenance and repair, with the cleaning and security of the buildings and grounds, and with managing exhibit design, installation, and repair. This position would manage smaller builds and oversee contractors when the Manager of Facilities is not onsite or if there are multiple contract jobs onsite at the same time. This position is the primary department contact when the Manager of Exhibits is not onsite and will be one of several staff required to be on-call after hours on a regular basis. The position duties will be split roughly evenly between exhibits and facilities tasks. This is a physically active and team-oriented role.
- At least 3-5 years experience working in the fields of Exhibits or Facilities.
- Knowledge of the exhibit design process and previous experience in exhibit development.
- Ability to read and interpret schematics, blueprints, shop drawings, and design-intent sketches
- Aptitude for learning and diagnosing root causes of a problem and troubleshoot solutions
- Understanding of good customer service principles and excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
- Comfort in working independently and as part of a team
- Propensity for working in a fast-paced environment
- Tendency to be creative, flexible and highly dependable
- Ability to develop budgets and meet budgetary goals
- Experience working with diverse audiences
- Basic tool skills, with some shop experience preferred
- Multi-lingual skills a plus
This is a physically demanding position, individual must be able to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, move equipment and supplies up to 80 lbs, climb ladders, complete work close to the ground, and work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests.
Candidate must pass CORI and SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- In the Manager’s absence, oversee day-to-day administrative department functions, including set-ups, grounds preparation, turn-on off schedules, security and acting as a point person for staff questions and concerns
- Serve as site contact when required for contractors and staff working on installations and fixes for special projects
- Order and stock supplies required to keep the building up and running
- Coordinate and install/de-install temporary exhibits
- Act as primary for prototyping components on the floor with Museum visitors
- Budget development, including procurement of estimates and tracking for small grants and refurbishment projects.
- Act as member of exhibit development teams
- Review and give feedback on grant applications and master planning for the department
- Assist in interviewing and training of volunteers and interns
- Monitor preventative maintenance through logging
- Identify security, safety (OSHA) and preventative maintenance issues and use good judgment in addressing immediate actions and follow-up requirements
- When needed, provide an extra hand on implementation of projects
- Uniform/dress code required
Serve on staff ad-hoc committees when needed
Other duties as may be assigned
Please send your resume and a cover letter to: Human Resources, Attn: Assistant Manager, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: with “Exhibits Search” in the subject line.
Review begins immediately, applications accepted until position is filled.