Cool Moves: The Artistry of Motion
Cool Moves is currently off exhibit.
What makes things move? What we see when we identify "motion" is actually a variety of contrasting movements: translation/rotation, continuous/vibrating and predictable/unpredictable. We can see the visual patterns and hear sounds produced by these movements -- and even create art from them!
Create and observe science in motion on the EcoTarium's Middle Level. Get hands-on with a series of individual kiosks and experiment with motion:
- Swing a giant magnetic pendulum through a field of magnets and investigate chaotic motion
- Touch -- and change the direction and speed of-- a tornado made of swirling misty water
- Create your own light and sound show by dancing to trigger motion detectors
- Make music out of thin air with your hands
- See and feel the vibrations created by sound
- Play with crazy pendulums to experiment with force and motion
- Create take-home art by using the movements of two pendulums
- Direct air flow patterns and watch what happens when a beach ball hits the force of wind
Created with funding from the National Science Foundation