Night Journeys: Overnight Visits
Take your class, scout group or youth group on a unique overnight adventure. You'll enjoy a night of exploration around the museum's exhibits, planetarium and grounds. Designed expressly for groups of children ages 6-16, overnights at the EcoTarium are educational, interactive and FUN!
During your Night Journey, you'll...
- See a digital planetarium show
- Meet and learn about a live animal up close
- Explore a variety of exhibits
- Sleep among the exhibits, or camp outdoors on the grounds (outdoor option, June-September)
- Enjoy hands-on activities based on your choice of theme
Choose your activity theme:
Each theme includes a choice of related activities. Group leaders may select from among the activities listed.
- Astronomy: Mission to Mars egg drop challenge, telescope viewing*, make a telescope, read star maps.
- Sea Creatures: Dissect a squid, explore a tidepool, discover the world of whales inside an inflatable fin whale
- Engineering: Take the tree canopy bridge design challenge or engineer a building model
- Local Ecology: Investigate ponds*, collect bugs*, dissect an owl pellet, learn to track animals, take a guided nature walk*
- Animal Adaptations: Explore bird beak adaptations, take the opposable thumb challenge, play animal sensory games
- Scientific Method: Dabble in a series of science experiments
* Weather-dependent, seasonal activities. Thematic activities are substituted as needed.
Badge Nights for Scout Groups
Scout groups enjoy all the fun and excitement of a Night Journey overnight-- and have the extra option to tailor their activities to meet partial badge requirements. This is an added option. Scout groups may also register for regular Night Journey programming if preferred.
- Cub Scouts - Astronomy, Wildlife Conservation and Science Academics Pins
- Boy Scouts - Begin work towards merit badges in Astronomy, Space Exploration, Insects, Mammal Study and Nature.
- Brownies - Bugs, Inventor, Home Scientist
- Junior Girl Scouts - Animal Habitats, Detective
- Cadette - Night Owl
Girls and Boys Nights Out
Don't have a large scout group? Pre-structured overnight programs are offered twice a year for individual scouts and smaller groups, ages 6 and up.
Girls Night Out-Science Adventure: February 1, 2013
Sleep among the exhibits and enjoy a fun-filled overnight dabbling in science experiments, and get up close and personal with some of our resident wildlife! Includes guided activities, digital planetarium show and night sky explorations (telescopes if weather permits). This is a great way to kick off your Bugs, Home Scientist, Animal Habitats or Night Owl badge!
Boys Night Out-Astronomy Adventure: February 8, 2013
Spend a starry night at the EcoTarium. Sleep among the exhibits and enjoy a fun-filled overnight working on an astronomy-themed badge or just learning about the stars and planets. Includes guided activities, digital planetarium space travel and night sky explorations (telescopes if weather permits).
Planning Your Overnight
Night Journeys are offered to groups of 28 or more on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 8 a.m.
Cost is $50 per person, including children and their adult chaperones. At least one chaperone is required for every 10 children. Children must be age 6 or older to participate. Changes to the group number provided at booking must be made two weeks prior to your visit; however, we may not be able to accommodate your change if maximum capacity has been reached. No changes are accepted within two weeks of your visit.
The museum accommodates two groups per night, for a maximum attendance of 100 people. Your group may enjoy some activities with another group.
What to expect: Healthy snacks (Nutri-Grain bars, fruit, animal crackers, water) are served at 9 p.m. Or bring your own. We're up early (6:00 am) for breakfast. (Cereal or instant oatmeal, fruit, muffins, bagels and coffee and juice). We'll be "camping" among the exhibits. All children receive a souvenir EcoTarium patch and a child's ticket for a free visit to the museum.
Be sure to bring your gear:
- Sleeping bags, pillows and (if desired) air mattress
- Tents, if camping outdoors
- Warm clothes for a morning outdoor walk
- Water bottle
- Change of clothes
How to Book Your Overnight Program
- Decide on your group size, activity (or badge) selection and whether you're sleeping indoors or outside (outside option, July-September)
- Email us at reservations [at] ecotarium [dot] org or call (508) 929-2703 at least one month in advance.
- If your group has special needs, please let us know your requirements at this time.
- A 50% non-refundable deposit is required at booking. The non-refundable balance is due 2 weeks prior to your visit, along with your final count and theme selection.
- Once you've booked, fill out your theme selection checklist and share the overnight information sheet with your chaperones.
- Theme Selection Checklist
- Overnight Information Sheet
For Boys or Girls Nights Out
- To register for a Boys or Girls Night Out, email us at reservations [at] ecotarium [dot] org or call 508-929-2703.
- Cost is $50 per person, including children and adult chaperones.
- One chaperone is required for every 10 children.
- Individual scouts must be accompanied by an adult.
- If minimum event registration is not met, you will be notified in advance of cancellation or rescheduling.