Bring your students, scouts or youth group on a unique overnight adventure. You'll enjoy a night of exploration around the museum's exhibits, planetarium, and grounds. Designed expressly for groups of children ages 6-16, overnights at the EcoTarium are educational, interactive and FUN!
Night Journeys are designed for groups of 28 or more. If you have a smaller group, please consider a Boys' or Girls' Night Out (see below).
During your Night Journey, you'll...
- See a digital planetarium show
- Explore a variety of exhibits
- Sleep among the exhibits
- Enjoy hands-on activities based on your choice of theme
Choose your activity theme:
Each theme includes a choice of related activities.
- Stars and Space: Mission to Mars egg drop challenge, telescope viewing (weather-dependent), or rocket-building
- Sea and Shore: Dissect a squid, explore a tide pool, and explore a whale
- Engineering Design Challenge: Take the suspension bridge challenge, an egg helmet challenge, or design a wind turbine
- Scientific Method: Be a scientist! Dabble in a series of science experiments; record and report your findings
Teachers, if you are interested in a theme more aligned with your curriculum, please let us know. We are currently collecting data to learn more about what works well for educators.
Badge Nights for Scout Groups
Scout groups enjoy all the fun and excitement of a sleepover at our Night Journey program -- and have the option to tailor activities to meet partial badge requirements.
- Cub Scouts - Space & Astronomy adventures, Nature & Wildlife adventures, and Science & Engineering adventures
- Boy Scouts - work towards merit badges in Astronomy, Space Exploration, Insects, Mammal Study and Nature.
- Brownies - It's Your Story: Inventor, It's Your World: Home Scientist, Legacy badge:Bugs
- Junior Girl Scouts - It's Your Story: Animal Habitats, It's Your Planet: Detective
- Cadette - It's Your Story: Night Owl
Planning Your Overnight
Night Journeys are offered to groups of 28 or more on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.
Cost is $50 per person, including children and their adult chaperones. At least one chaperone is required for every 5 children. Children must be age 6 or older to participate. Changes to the group number provided at booking must be made two weeks prior to your visit; however, we may not be able to accommodate your change if maximum capacity has been reached.
What to Expect:
- Healthy snacks: Nutri-Grain bars, fruit, animal crackers, and water are served.
- We're up early--6:00 am--for breakfast: Cereal or instant oatmeal, fruit, muffins, bagels and coffee and juice.
- We'll be "camping" among the exhibits.
- All children receive a souvenir EcoTarium patch, and children and chaperones receive passes for a free visit to the museum.
Be sure to bring your gear:
- Sleeping bags, pillows and (if desired) air mattress
- Water bottle
- Change of clothes: warm clothes for a morning outdoor walk
- Flashlight (suggested for adults, optional for kids)
Teddy bear or stuffed animal (suggested for kids, optional for adults)
How to Book Your Overnight Program
- Decide on your group size and choose your theme
- Email us at email@example.com or call 508.929.2703 at least one month in advance.
- If your group has members with different learning styles or severe allergies, please let us know.
- A 50% non-refundable deposit is required at booking. The non-refundable balance and final count are due 2 weeks prior to your visit.
- Once you've booked, fill out your theme selection checklist and share the overnight information sheet with everyone.
- Theme Selection Checklist - due one month before your event
- Overnight Information Sheet - please distribute in advance to all participants
Girls' and Boys' Nights Out
Individual scouts and smaller groups or classes, ages 6 and up (except as noted), are welcome to either Girls' or Boys' Night Out.
Sleep among the exhibits and enjoy a fun-filled overnight dabbling in science experiments, and get up close and personal with some of our resident wildlife! Includes guided activities, digital planetarium show and night sky explorations (telescopes, if weather permits).
Boys’ Night Out
Science Adventure Overnight
Saturday, May 28, 2016
7:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m.
Girls’ Night Out
Saturday, June 4, 2016
7:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m.
- To register for a Girls' or Boys' Night Out, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508.929.2703.
- Cost is $50 per person, including children and adult chaperones.
- One chaperone is required for every 5 children.
- Individual scouts must be accompanied by an adult.
- If minimum event registration is not met, you will be notified in advance of cancelation or rescheduling.