The EcoTarium is committed to making the museum experience as accessible as possible to guests and employees of all physical and mental abilities. The EcoTarium's accessibility program is listed below. Please use the following guide to answer your questions about specific special needs, or feel free to call us at 508.929.2700 or TDD 508.929.2702.
- Parking: EcoTarium has designated accessible parking in three areas: our upper lot closest to the Sundial Plaza and the Information Desk; our lower lot closest to the Explorer Express Train, Wildlife Path and Food Pavilion; and in a loading area at the north entrance to the museum.
- Outdoor Paths: All paths leading to and from museum attractions are graded to meet state and federal specifications and surfaced with macadam or asphalt. While some paths may lead to stairs, all attractions can be reached by alternate, accessible routes.
- Tree Canopy Walkway: This treetop structure takes advantage of a natural ledge to provide a wheelchair accessible bridge to one platform, where guests can observe forest life in the tree canopy.
- Explorer Express Train: The Explorer Express Train includes a custom-built coach that accommodates two passengers in wheelchairs and their companions. Passengers can board this coach via a ramp lowered to the ground.
- Nature Trails: Portions of the EcoTarium's Lower Pond Vibram Walking Trail and Meadow Trail are paved, including access to the Lower Pond Pier.
- Inside the Museum: Building entrances are equipped with power-assisted doors. An elevator accesses the museum's three levels. Accessible restrooms are available at the middle and lower levels, as well as outdoors at the Food Pavilion. The Alden Digital Planetarium has wheelchair appropriate seating arrangements. Two wheelchairs are available for guest use and can be requested at the Information Desk.
With advance notice, sign language interpreters for group programs can be arranged. An additional fee applies.
The EcoTarium's exhibits and programs are designed to be interactive, hands-on, and multi-sensory so that they can be enjoyed at many levels of physical and mental ability.