Tree Climbing Expeditions
Get ready for your summer's most memorable adventure!
Bring your guests on a private, two-hour expedition to the EcoTarium's black oak savanna. Learn how to use tree climbing equipment from experienced climbers, then don a harness and helmet and ascend by rope into the leafy canopy of one of the savanna's giant oaks.
Meet across the street from the main EcoTarium gate on Harrington Way in a preserved remnant of Worcester's original habitat. Part of the old Harrington Farm and crisscrossed by stone walls, this property hosts grassland and a grove of large oak trees.
Follow our knowledgeable in-country guides as they lead you to the base of a giant oak tree. Once trained by your guide, safely ascend up into the oak canopy at your own speed. Throughout the party, enjoy a private base-camp on the savanna (2 picnic tables provided, along with canopy cover, if weather is inclement). Bring your own refreshments, play field games that we provide (or bring your own), and after the party explore the EcoTarium museum and grounds across the street.
Tree Climbing Expeditions are held for a maximum of 10 climbers (must be at least 7 years old) and a total expedition size of 20 participants. Chaperones are required for children up to age 16 (one adult per 10 children).
Reserve your expedition!
Tree Climbing Expeditions will be offered from May 2013 through October 13, 2013:
- Saturdays at 10 a.m. or 2 p.m.
- Sundays at 2 p.m.
The cost is $300 ($275 for EcoTarium members) for up to 10 climbers and a total of 20 participants.
Reservations must be made at least two weeks in advance. A 50% deposit is required at the time of booking. The balance is due two weeks prior to your expedition. All payments are non-refundable, and date changes are not allowed (See Weather below for exceptions).
To make your reservation, call 508-929-2703.
What is included in a Tree Climbing Expedition
- Training and a guided tree-climbing session for up to 10 climbers
- Harnesses, helmets, and climbing gear
- Use of the savanna base camp for two hours
- Field game equipment at base camp, within sight of the climbing tree
- A hand cart for transporting expedition and picnic gear inland
- Free admission to the EcoTarium on the day of your climb to use after returning from the field
- Additional free ticket (with our compliments) for a return visit to the EcoTarium at a later date (one ticket per expedition member)
Tree Climbing Expeditions are held rain or shine. If hazardous weather conditions appear during your expedition, there may be a slight delay to allow the storm to pass. If our in-country guides deem the weather condition too dangerous to proceed, the party will be cancelled. If the cancellation occurs before half of the participating climbers have ascended the tree, we will refund you 50% of your party fee. There will be no refund if at least half of the climbers have had a chance to ascend.
In the event of an in-party cancellation, you and your guests are welcome to explore and enjoy our museum with three floors of hands-on, interactive exhibits that explore the natural and physical sciences and our New England environment. If the EcoTarium is forced to cancel an expedition before it begins due to extreme weather, we will either issue a full refund, or reschedule your expedition.
Preparing for your adventure
- You must be dressed for tree climbing. That means closed-toe, secure, covered shoes, knee-length shorts or long pants, and clothing appropriate for the weather. For safety, skirts and flip flops are not allowed.
- Each climber must sign a release form. To save time, download and print forms (see below) and bring them completed to the party; forms may also be completed upon arrival.
- For climbers under age 18, a parent or guardian must sign the release form.
- Bring your own lawn chairs, food and (non alcoholic) beverages. Grilling and cooking is not allowed on the property.
- You are welcome to bring your own field games to add to what is provided by the EcoTarium.
- This is an outdoor expedition, so be prepared for insects. Insect repellant is recommended.
- Rest rooms are available on the EcoTarium grounds and inside the museum building, a ten minute walk from the tree climbing site.
- Please leave your pets at home; USDA prohibits them on the EcoTarium grounds.
Save Time! Print the Informed Consent-Liability Release Form, complete it and bring it with you to present to your in-country guide. All climbers must complete a form.
We'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about the Tree Climbing Expeditions. Please call us at 508-929-2703 or email us at: reservations [at] ecotarium [dot] org.