The EcoTarium, a Museum of Science and Nature, seeks an enthusiastic professional to join our dedicated and dynamic team. The successful candidate will provide excellent animal care and a positive guest experience.
The Keeper works in all areas of animal husbandry including feeding, cleaning, record keeping, training and enrichment, behavioral observations, and exhibit maintenance for all of the museum’s live animals. The animal collection includes mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, small marine animals and insects. This position is responsible for current habitat design as well.
Other responsibilities include formal and informal presentations to guests, and developing conservation and education initiatives. Habitats are located both indoors and outdoors. The position is physically demanding and requires working in all weather conditions.
- Bachelor of Science or working toward a Bachelor of Science in Biology, Animal Science, or related field preferred
- Experience and knowledge in working with captive animals; preferably in a zoo/museum setting including, but not exclusive to, birds of prey, medium to large felids, small mammals, and a variety of reptiles.
- Experience in general plumbing, aquatic systems, or mechanical repair desirable
- Experience in exhibitory techniques: design, maintenance and repair and modification
- Excellent observational and record keeping skills with great attention to detail
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays
- Must be flexible and highly dependable
- Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force to lift, push, pull, carry, or otherwise move objects, climb a 5-foot ladder and work outdoors in all conditions, including to assist with snow removal
- Must be able to move quickly and position oneself in order to capture animals in exhibits and on museum grounds using hand nets and/or snares
- Must be able to use a variety of tools (hand and power) and to operate motor vehicles safely
- Computer skills in MS Word with a background in ZIMS database (currently known as Species 360) record keeping
- Excellent communication skills and comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation with and without a microphone
- A welcoming, professional, and gracious demeanor
- Must pass a CORI/SORI background check
- Must be fully vaccinated for rabies no later than three (3) months after hire date.
- Willingness to actively take part in the facility shoot team and to maintain firearms training, practice, and certification is desirable
- Provide daily care and maintenance of wildlife, including but not limited to diet preparation, exhibit cleaning and repair, capture and restraint, and medical care
- Conduct behavioral observations, provide enrichment and daily training of animals utilizing operant conditioning necessary for husbandry care and stimulation
- On a weekly rotational basis, serve as the primary conduit for communication within the department and with other departments as Point Person of the Day
- Train and oversee volunteers and interns in daily animal care, behavioral observations, and public education and act as mentor to those coming up in the field
- Responsible for design and maintenance of current habitats
- Maintain daily files and records on animals in written and computerized form
- Work with team to identify opportunities to educate guests on conservation issues
- Perform all physical aspects of the job, including shoveling snow, raking and hauling mulch, gutting exhibits, re-perching bird enclosures, clearing overgrowth and conducting pool drains and cleans, etc.
- Present formal and informal wildlife programs to the general public and groups, at the museum and off-site, and interact with guests to answer questions
- Serve as the point person on several on-going projects and/or functions with in the department.
- Serve as a member of the facility shoot team and maintain firearms training, practice, and certification
- Serve on staff ad-hoc committees when needed
- Other duties as assigned
Please send cover letter, resume, and list of three references to:
Human Resources, Attn: Wildlife Keeper, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604
or email: email@example.com with “Wildlife Keeper” in the subject line.
Review begins immediately until position is filled. No submission received after May 21, 2017 will be considered.