Salary/Non-Exempt; 5-day work week including a weekend day or alternating weekend days. Must be able to work evenings and weekends during the height of events season. Position includes school vacation weeks and some holiday and evening hours.
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science and Nature, seeks a creative and collaborative coordinator to develop, plan and execute fun and engaging events of all sizes for all ages. Events take place both in the museum and outdoors on our 40 acre property, and are focused on a variety of seasonal, holiday, and science and nature themes. Large-scale events include Great Pumpkin Nights, Earth Day Celebration, Noon Year’s Eve, Food Truck Festival, and Free Fun Friday. The coordinator will lead an interdepartmental Events Committee, which oversees planning, operations and logistics for museum events.
Candidates must enjoy working with public audiences of all ages, and be committed to ongoing growth and learning in the events field. The successful candidate will have project management skills and bring a commitment to running creative events with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience in event coordination/planning or related field
- Experience both developing and overseeing day-of execution of events; experience coordinating events with 500+ attendees desirable
- Project management and team leadership experience; Ability to collaborate effectively is essential
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Organizational skills, with the ability to balance an attention to detail with deadlines-based action
- Experience working with and supervising volunteers
- Experience developing budgets and meeting budgetary and income goals
- Knowledge and practice of good customer service principles
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking/presentation skills
- Evaluation experience desirable
- Experience with or interest in working in a mission-driven nonprofit environment
- Interest in science and nature a plus
- Altru or Raiser’s Edge software experience a plus
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Candidate should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and highly dependable
- Experience working with diverse audiences
- Multi-lingual skills a plus
- Able to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, move materials weighing up to 40 lbs, stay stationary for long periods of time, and work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests
- Pass CORI background check in accordance with EcoTarium guidelines
- Provide overall leadership for EcoTarium events from conception to reflection
- Attend events to coordinate activities and ensure smooth implementation
- Enhance, develop and coordinate staff execution of standardized event procedures
- Manage the logistics of several events simultaneously
- Lead an interdepartmental Events Committee to plan events
- Collaborate with all departments throughout the event planning process and delegate event-related tasks to staff when necessary
- Over time, increase net revenue from events
- Maintain and build working relationships with vendors and community partners
- Coordinate event entertainment, including music, performers, guest speakers, etc.
- Work collaboratively with Marketing and Communications on marketing strategies for events
- Manage and maintain event supplies
- Budget development, including tracking and forecasting for events
- Uniform/dress code required
Serve on staff ad-hoc committees when neededOther duties as assigned
Please send your resume and a cover letter that includes your thoughts on what key components make for a successful event to: Human Resources, Attn: Events Coordinator Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: with “Events Coordinator Search” in the subject line.
Review begins March 12, 2018, applications accepted until position is filled.