$11.00 per hour, Temporary, Non Exempt
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science and Nature, seeks a dynamic and committed supervisor to facilitate the Counselor-in-Training program for 13 and 14 year-old campers at the EcoTarium’s Summer Discovery Camp.
The Teen Program Supervisor is responsible for daily supervision and instruction of campers aged 5-14. Topics include but are not limited to: natural and physical science, sensory awareness and group and team building. Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry methods that encourage exploration, self-directed learning, and stewardship of the natural environment.
A mandatory pre-camp training week begins June 26, 2017 and employment runs through August 11, 2017. The Teen Program Supervisor will typically work Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. with the occasional extended hours. On Friday evenings. the regular camp day is extended to 5:00 p.m. and all camp staff are expected to stay for the Camp Family Pizza Party (until approximately 7:00 p.m). Additionally, the Teen Program Supervisor will be responsible for covering extended hours (7:15 a.m.- 9:00 a.m. or 4:00 p.m.- 5:30 p.m.) on a rotating schedule.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and completed 2 years of college before the start of employment
- Bachelor’s degree in science or education preferred
- General science background with knowledge in one or more of the following areas preferred: natural history, physical science, technology, engineering, and/or outdoor skills
- At least two years of experience teaching and/or working with teens; camp experience a plus
- Familiarity with techniques used to inspire leadership and facilitating team-building initiatives
- A love of working with children and parents
- Ability to inspire a passion for science and nature in campers
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking; a flair for public presentation
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Candidate should enjoy working in a busy camp community, be flexible and highly dependable and willing to assist with additional responsibilities as needed
- Ability to plan, initiate, and carry out educational and team-building programs
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and leadership skills
- Experience working with diverse racial/socio-economic populations
- Ability to maintain safety and discipline in a fun and positive way
- Able to work in highly sensory and stimulating work environment, constantly interacting with guests, campers, volunteers, and other staff
- Be in good physical condition to meet the physical demands of the position. Ability to move program equipment/supplies up to 40 lbs, navigate the nature trails under any weather conditions
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and complete the camp’s health form and waiver by the start of training
- Be certified in CPR/First Aid or be willing to take a CPR/First Aid course provided by the EcoTarium
- Pass CORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Supervise campers’ safety on a daily basis
- Develop, plan and implement programs and activities for 13 and 14 year-old campers on a variety of science and nature topics
- Play a leadership role in extended hours (AM & PM) and be the go-to person for camp staff on a rotating basis
- Develop and organize the daily schedule for the Counselors-in-Training
- Lead campers in a variety of team-building and leadership activities
- Conduct programming indoors as well as outdoors in any type of weather
- Employ inquiry-based teaching methods to stimulate learning
- Prepare for and actively participate in staff training and meetings
- Encourage positive self-esteem of campers and positive group dynamics
- Provide an exceptional experience for campers and their families
- Take initiative in problem solving, fostering effective interaction between campers, staff and parents
- Successfully mentor and foster opportunities for successful interaction between campers and Counselors-in-Training
- Prepare for and participate in the Camp Family Pizza Party each Friday evening.
- Chaperone offsite field trips as needed
- Uniform/dress code required
Other duties as assigned
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to:
Human Resources, Attn: Teen Program Supervisor Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Teen Program Supervisor Search” in the subject line.
Review begins March 10, 2017, applications accepted until position is filled.