$10.00 per hour, Temporary, Non Exempt
June 26 – June 30, 2017 (Training) and 3-5 weeks between July 3 – August 11, 2017 (Camp Director assigns weeks to successful candidates; candidate availability may affect hiring decisions)
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science and Nature, seeks camp counselors for teaching positions at the EcoTarium’s Summer Discovery Camp. Counselors are responsible for daily supervision and instruction of campers aged 5-14.
Topics include but are not limited to: natural and physical science, sensory awareness, and group and team building. Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry methods that encourage exploration, self-directed learning, and stewardship of the natural environment.
A mandatory pre-camp training week runs June 26-June 30, 2017 (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). Camp employment involves 3-5 weeks of work between July 3 and August 11, 2017. The Camp Director assigns weeks to successful candidates. Candidate availability may affect hiring decisions. Counselors typically work Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. On Friday evenings, the regular camp day is extended to 5:00 p.m. and on a rotating schedule, counselors are expected to stay for the Camp Family Pizza Party (until 7:00 p.m.).
- Must be at least 17 years of age and completed at least 3 years of High School before the start of employment. Previous camp experience is preferred.
- General science background with knowledge in one or more of the following areas preferred: natural history, physical science, technology, engineering, and/or outdoor skills
- Ability to inspire a passion for science and nature in campers
- A love of working with children and parents
- Work experience teaching and/or working with children; camp experience a plus
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Candidate should enjoy working in a busy camp community, be flexible and highly dependable
- Ability to plan, initiate, and carry out education programs
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and leadership skills
- Interest in or experience working with diverse racial/socio-economic populations
- Ability to maintain safety and discipline in a fun and positive way
- Able to work in highly sensory and stimulating work environment, constantly interacting with guests, campers, volunteers, and other staff
- Be in good physical condition to meet the physical demands of the position. Ability to move program equipment/supplies up to 40 lbs, navigate nature trails under any weather conditions
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and complete the camp’s health form and waiver by the start of training
Be certified in CPR/First Aid or be willing to take a CPR/First Aid course provided by the EcoTarium
Pass CORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Supervise campers’ safety on a daily basis
- Lead programs and activities for campers on a variety of science and nature topics
- Enhance existing curriculum with creative and thought provoking ideas and activities
- Lead campers in a variety of team-building activities
- Conduct programming indoors as well as outdoors in any type of weather
- Employ inquiry-based teaching methods to stimulate learning
- Prepare for and actively participate in staff training and meetings
- Encourage positive self-esteem of campers and positive group dynamics
- Provide an exceptional experience for campers and their families
- Take initiative in problem solving, fostering effective interaction between campers, staff and parents
- Develop opportunities for successful interaction between campers, Counselors-in-Training, and Junior Counselors
- Prepare for and participate in the Camp Family Pizza Party each Friday evening
- Chaperone offsite field trips as needed
- Uniform/Dress Code Required
Other duties as assigned
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to:
Human Resources, Attn: Camp Counselor Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Camp Counselor Application” in the subject line.
Review begins March 10, 2017. Applications accepted until position is filled.