- Work schedule is primarily weekends, with two weekends a month required. Additional week day hours may be available with Sales and Guest Services
- Flexible schedule a must
- Successful completion of paid weekday evening and weekend training required
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks outgoing and enthusiastic Birthday Party Hosts to provide engaging and educational birthday party experiences for our guests. Parties utilize hands-on and inquiry methods of teaching that encourage exploration and self-directed learning. Programming is on a variety of natural and physical science topics and includes interpretation of museum exhibits, digital planetarium and outdoor programs on a 55-acre site. Employees must complete paid training to become familiar with science and nature content and activities, animal handling and learning hosting and teaching skills. Birthday Party Hosts must commit to working a minimum of 2 weekends per month with an option to apply as a Sales & Guest Services Associate to supplement income.
- Experience working with youth—preschool to middle school and be comfortable interacting with adults
- Interest in science preferred
- Ability to inspire a passion for science and nature
- Work well with minimal supervision
- A flair for public presentation
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Dependable and flexible to work most weekends and potentially weekday hours
- Knowledge of good customer service principles, including the ability to listen and understand the needs of guests
- Able to walk, stand and work in highly sensory and stimulating work environment, constantly interacting with guests
- Must be in good physical condition to meet the physical demands of the position. Ability to move program equipment/supplies up to 20 lbs and navigate trails under any conditions.
- Experience working with diverse racial/socioeconomic populations
- Pass CORI and SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Lead birthday parties as needed on a variety of science and nature topics
- Work with team to enhance curriculum with creative ideas and activities
- Employ inquiry-based teaching methods to stimulate learning
- Provide an exceptional guest experience through programs and informal contact with
- the public
- Work to ensure guest satisfaction, notifying appropriate personnel about challenges and successes
- Effectively communicate with parents and other hosts
- Take initiative in problem solving and fostering effective interaction between guests
- Prepare, set-up and maintain program materials including craft supplies, paper goods and decorations
- Clean-up after each party to ensure use of room for next program or event
- Manage program inventory supplies and alert the Sales & Guest Services Team Leader when supplies need to be re-ordered
- Conduct programming outdoors in any type of weather
- Handle animals for use in programs
- Uniform/dress code required
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to: Human Resources, Attn: Birthday Party Host, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: with “Birthday Party Host” in the subject line.
Review underway, applications accepted until position is filled.