Non-Exempt/Full-time, hourly with flexibility to occasionally work the alternate day, holiday or evening.
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science and Nature seeks an Assistant Exhibit Technician to work with our Exhibit Technician to fix and clean museum exhibit components.
The Assistant Technician will be primarily responsible for inspecting, cleaning, and conducting preventative maintenance on exhibit interactives. They will also assist the Exhibit Technician and Exhibit Builder in repairing indoor and outdoor exhibits. Exhibits include AV and computer technologies as well as basic motors, filters, pumps and other mechanical components.
This position will also assist with the installation and de-installation of exhibits. The Technician works with the exhibit team on the development of new exhibits to provide an ever improving guest experience.
- Minimum 2 years work experience, individual must be over 18 years of age
- Strong attention to detail and self-motivated
- Must be diligent about overseeing and keeping up with preventative maintenance
- An organized candidate is a plus
- Must be willing and able to do repetitive tasks like cleaning and stocking
- Professional and personable demeanor with the public and with fellow staff
- Patience to fix something you just fixed last week, while considering improvements for how to make the component more reliable
- Ability to work independently and as a part of the exhibit team
- Flexibility to reschedule hours to meet deadlines a plus
- Ability to use a variety of tools including hand and power tools
- Demonstrated experience doing electrical, mechanical and technical repair
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and the ability to adapt existing technology and equipment to exhibit needs (always slightly different than the intended use)
- Willingness and ability to work outdoors in all weather
- Ability to do physical labor, including climbing a 10 foot ladder, lifting 80 lbs, reaching overhead, pushing and pulling objects and to work in cramped or awkward spaces, such as under and behind exhibits by crawling, or kneeling
- A strong candidate will bring one or more additional skills applicable to an indoor-outdoor museum, such as: experience working with natural history specimens (conservation, object mounting, etc.); carpentry; 3-D design; theater technical skills (lighting, set building, etc.) mechanical or electrical engineering; computer/network troubleshooting (including various Windows and Linux environments); aquarium/pool maintenance
- Must pass a CORI background check, according to EcoTarium’s guidelines and have a valid drivers license and clean driving record
- Secondary technician responsible for preventative maintenance of exhibitry
- Regular inspection/testing of all exhibits inside and outside to determine needed repair
- Upkeep and repair of electrical and mechanical equipment used in exhibits and programs
- Cleaning of exhibits and display cases, inside and out
- Stock spare parts, purchase, replace, pick up needed supplies and manage inventory
- Maintain an organized stock system and storage
- Assist in the repair of electrical, mechanical, and computer equipment used in exhibits and programs
- Assist with routine troubleshooting and system updates on exhibit computers of various vintages
- Learn and use computerized scheduling systems and automatic system startup and shutdown control using BIOS settings, Wake On Lan (WOL), as well as Windows Task Scheduler, CRON jobs, and other automation tools
- Maintain exhibit repair documents and log
- Assist with installation, de-installation, packing and shipping of exhibits
- Uniform/dress code required
Other duties as may be assigned
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to:
Human Resources, Attn: Assistant Exhibit Tech Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604
or email: email@example.com with “Assistant Exhibit Tech Search” in the subject line.
Review underway, applications accepted until position is filled.