The Maintenance Technician I works in all areas of the department, and acts to support other specialized maintenance staff with overflow work and coverage for vacations and illnesses. Routine tasks include daily opening of building, and safety and security inspection of grounds, buildings and systems. The technician will be responsible for litter collection and trash removal, setting up for events and programs, performing routine equipment assessment, maintenance and repairs, and monitoring contractors when assigned as contractor point person. Seasonal tasks will include raking, weeding, mulching, mowing and weed whacking, leaf blowing and snow removal. This individual will also be in charge of overseeing integrated pest management, by checking and replacing traps throughout the building.
Position is paid $12-$14/hr and is full-time with benefits. Regular schedule is Tuesday–Saturday, 7 AM– 3:30 PM. Candidate must be flexible to cover occasional over-time hours during storms, and when the museum is open for events at night and on weekends.
- High school diploma or equivalent with certification in related field preferred
- 5 years related work experience preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills and willingness to work on a team and with other departments.
- Experience in using various hand tools, power equipment and operating heavy machinery
- Proficiency in computer applications such as email, word processing and spreadsheets.
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently and flex schedule as needed
- Ability to make independent judgments and prioritize tasks without direct supervision
- Candidate should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and highly dependable
- Experience operating heavy equipment – scissor lifts, loaders, etc. – is a plus
- Must pass CORI and SORI background checks and have a clean driving record
- Must be able to comprehend written and verbal instructions and perform visual inspections.
- Must be able to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, and able to tolerate working outside during extreme weather conditions, such as snow storms and heat waves.
- Must be able to move equipment and materials up to 60 lbs, and position oneself to access tight, high and/low spaces, and to ascend/descend ladders as needed.
- Must be able to work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests
- Perform general and preventative maintenance of equipment including but not limited to, routine filter and oil changes, and external cleanings and inspections.
- Maintain a log of all preventative maintenance preformed for equipment, systems and grounds vehicles.
- Set-up and take down of furnishings and equipment for functions and programs.
- Be point person for monitoring pest management practices at the Museum, check traps twice weekly.
- Assist with routine minor repairs, maintenance, and installations in the buildings and around the grounds, including but not limited to wall-mounted shelves or equipment, air system filters, locks and doors, fences and gates, etc.
- Perform grounds work including but not limited to weeding, planting, mulching and weed whacking, leaf blowing and machine and hand snow removal.
- As required, participate in the daily monitoring and maintenance of the inside and outside of all facilities. This includes lawn mowing, sweeping, snow plowing and shoveling and rubbish removal.
- Monitor supply inventory and handle requisition with the Facilities Manager.
- Interact with various outside maintenance support companies as requested by the Facilities Manager.
- Be welcoming and gracious to all guests.
- Participate in the monitoring of building and grounds security and safety on a daily basis. This includes daily sweeps at the end of the day and responding to security calls during the work day and after hours.
- Reply to maintenance radio calls promptly and politely.
- Follow local, state and federal laws and regulatory standards, including but not limited to OSHA and safety standards.
- Adjust schedule to cover museum hours as needed.
- Carry out other designated tasks as assigned by the Manager or Director of Facilities.
- Pick-up and delivery of items
- Directly assist, or provide staff assistance to other EcoTarium departments as may be necessary
- Serve on staff ad-hoc committees when needed
- Other duties as may be assigned
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to: Human Resources, Attn: Maintenance Tech, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: with “Maintenance Tech” in the subject line.
Review underway, applications accepted until position is filled.