We simply could not offer the programs and special events that make the EcoTarium a unique resource to our community without our diverse and wonderfully dedicated corps of volunteers. As a volunteer, you will assist the EcoTarium in carrying out its mission while helping to make our visitors' experiences both fun and educational. Working along side our professional staff, you will acquire new skills and enhance your knowledge.
Volunteers can participate in many different areas of EcoTarium:
- Administration - Clerical support, data entry, mailings
- Guest Service - Greet and direct museum guests, educate guests about museum programs and memberships, assist at Birthday parties
- Grounds Assistant - Maintain museum grounds, garden and plantings
- Museum Programs - Work with staff to present interpretive programs for school groups and the general public
- Exhibits - Interact with visitors, assist guests at various exhibit stations,clean exhibits, test interactives to ensure they are working correctly
- Collections - Participate in the museum’s projects to inventory its historic natural history collection or learn how to share natural history with visitors.
- Museum Shop - Provide customer service, assist with merchandising, stocking and upkeep of the museum shop.
- Community Events - Represent EcoTarium at various public events with activities and information on upcoming programs and exhibits.
- Special events at EcoTarium - Assist with activities, greet and assist museum guests.
- Wildlife - Assist with the care and feeding of our wildlife and their habitats.
Additionally, some opportunities for internships are also available. Check with our Volunteer Coordinator to learn of current offerings. Typically, internships are unpaid.
Benefits of volunteering
- Making new friends who share common interests
- Learning about New England wildlife and marine life, and forest and meadow ecology
- Developing career skills
- Making a significant contribution to the public understanding and appreciation of science and nature
- Earning EcoTarium memberships and guest passes for friends and family
- Recognition at the annual volunteer banquet and in the EcoTarium's Annual Report
Please join us!
For more information about the EcoTarium's Volunteer Program, please contact the Coordinator of Volunteer Resources at 508.929.2708. Download a volunteer application.