Sundays 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, operates a two-fifths scale model of an 1860s steam engine, a favorite attraction for many of the EcoTarium's youngest visitors. The Train Engineer is responsible for selling tickets, driving the train in a safe manner, and providing narration during the 12-minute ride. The Engineer is also responsible for minor equipment maintenance and keeping the train, the station and its grounds clean. The candidate must enjoy working with the public and have a keen interest in trains.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and willingness to work as a team member
- Function well in a high volume sensory and stimulating work environment, constantly interacting with guests
- Candidate must be flexible and highly dependable
- Aptitude for cash management
- Experience in engine mechanics desired
- Pass CORI and SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Maintain the appearance of the train, station, platforms and walkways each morning
- Inspect and provide light repairs to the locomotive and cars, including preventative maintenance procedures such as fluid changes
- General repair and maintenance of train tracks
- Inspect and provide preventative maintenance of the railroad track such as oiling of switches and waxing of return loop tracks
- Collect train fees and maintain cash draw
- Operate the train for guests throughout the day. This includes assisting guests with being seated and departing the cars, and narrating information to the passengers via a public address system
- The above functions require standing and walking for prolonged periods, pushing or lifting weights of 60 lbs. or more, with exposure to the outside elements throughout the year
- Be welcoming and gracious to all guests
- Uniform/dress code required
- To work on interdepartmental teams as needed
• Other duties as required
Please send cover letter, resume and names of three references to: Human Resources, Attn: Train Engineer Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: resume [at] ecotarium [dot] org.
Review of applications begins immediately; applications accepted until the position is filled. AA/EOE