Hourly/Non-Exempt, temporary, $10.50 per hour
The EcoTarium, A Museum of Science & Nature, seeks an engaging and enthusiastic Tadpole Counselor to supervise and instruct the Tadpole Program (ages 5-6) of the EcoTarium Summer Discovery Camp. Programming is on a variety of natural and physical science topics and takes place on the museum floor, in classroom settings, in our digital planetarium, and outdoors on our 55-acre site, including programming and play facilitation in our Nature Explore® Outdoor Exhibit. Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry-based methods encouraging exploration and self-directed learning. Activities help instill a passion for science and promote stewardship of the natural environment.
Candidates must enjoy working with youth ages 5 to 6, possess a keen interest in science, and be committed to ongoing growth and learning in the fields of science and education. Camp staff training begins June 25, 2018 and employment runs through August 10, 2018. Typical shift during staff training is approximately 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Typical Monday through Friday shift during camp sessions begins at 7:15 a.m. and ends at 12:45 p.m and includes supervising Morning Extended Care sessions (7:15 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.).
- Must be 21 years of age and successfully completed at least two years of college; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Background in life science, earth science, astronomy, engineering, and/or physical science desirable
- Demonstrated previous experience teaching and/or working with children in a formal, informal, inquiry-based and/or experiential learning setting; Early childhood education experience and/or EEC Certification desirable
- Experience leading or assisting programming at a science and/or nature camp preferred
- Curriculum development experience a plus
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
- Knowledge and practice of good customer service principles
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently
- Creative individual with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible and highly dependable
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse audiences
- Be certified in CPR/First Aid or take a CPR/First Aid course the EcoTarium provides
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by the Massachusetts
- Department of Public Health and complete the camp’s health form and waiver by the start of training
- Able to navigate the building and grounds under any weather conditions, move program equipment and supplies up to 25 lbs, and work in a highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests
- Pass CORI/SORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Lead and implement creative programs and activities for campers (ages 5-6) on a variety of science and nature topics while encouraging positive self-esteem of campers and positive group dynamics
- Supervise and maintain camper safety and discipline in a fun and positive way
- Serve as a role model and actively support fostering opportunities for successful interaction between campers, Counselors-in- Training and Junior Counselors
- Participate in working extended hours (AM) on a daily basis
- Provide an exceptional experience for campers and their families and be proactive in problem-solving and communicating issues and solutions to campers and parents
- Conduct indoor/outdoor programming and navigate trails in all types of weather conditions.
- Set-up and maintain field gear, program materials, technical equipment and supplies
- Prepare for and actively participate in all staff training and meetings
- Uniform/dress code required
Other duties as assigned.
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to: Human Resources, Attn:
Tadpole Counselor (Half Day) Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or email: with “Tadpole Counselor (Half Day) Search” in the subject line.
Review begins immediately, applications accepted until position is filled.