The EcoTarium is a unique indoor-outdoor museum in Worcester, MA, with a mission to inspire a passion for science and nature.
The EcoTarium houses a variety of native and non-native mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Wildlife volunteers assist staff with the daily care of the animals, including cleaning, feeding and basic medical care.
- Previous experience with animals is preferred, but not required
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be willing to work outside in all weather conditions
- Must be willing to communicate via email
- Must be able to commit to at least one day a week for 6 months
- Must pass a CORI background check in accordance with EcoTarium guidelines
- Must volunteer at 1 EcoTarium Event per year
Level One Volunteer: In this level, you will learning most of the fundamentals in caring for animals in our collection.
- Indoor animals (Reptile Row, Roaches, Geckos, Wood Turtles, Box Turtle, Fresh Water Habit, Guinea Pigs). Only care for those animals you are cleared for and always follow staff instructions.
- Prepare diets and clean enclosures, assist staff with routine veterinary care
- Laundry, dishes, cleaning of counters and floors
- Clean windows, sweep and mop front room in animal corner
- Ethograms/behavioral observations
- Extra duties as assigned
(Must complete 50 hours of continual service in order to advance to Level Two).
Level Two Volunteer: In this level, you will be learning even more of the fundamentals in caring for animals in our collection.
Level One Duties, plus:
- Indoor animals (Bullfrog, White’s tree frog, Salamanders, Scorpions, Tide pool, Chinchillas, Hedgehogs, Rat). Only care for those animals you are cleared for and always follow staff instructions.
- Medication administration, Exercising animals, Enrichment, Deep-cleaning mammals, handling of animals outside of medical care
- Extra duties as assigned
(Must complete 100 hours of continual service in order to advance to Level Three).
Level Three Volunteer: In this level, you have mastered the skills of basis animal husbandry, enrichment, and behavioral observations.
Level One and Two Duties, plus:
- Indoor animals (Racket, Porcupine, Opossums). Only care for those animals you are cleared for and always follow staff instructions.
- Assist with public presentations
- Assist with training sessions
- Possibility of learning about operant conditioning
- Mentoring other volunteers in training of new duties
Please Note: Advancement from one level to the next is also contingent on your initiative and staff evaluation. Some animals may not be a good fit for everyone and even within the level, you may not interact with every species. This is in the best interest of the animals and the department as a whole.