The EcoTarium is a unique indoor-outdoor museum in Worcester, MA, with a mission to inspire a passion for science and nature.
The EcoTarium houses a variety of native and non-native mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians. Wildlife volunteers assist staff with the daily care of the animals, including cleaning, feeding and basic medical care
- Previous experience with animals is preferred, but not required
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be willing to work outside in all weather conditions
- Must be willing to communicate via email
- Must be able to commit to at least 2 days a week for 6 months
- Must pass a CORI background check in accordance with EcoTarium guidelines
- Must volunteer at 1 EcoTarium event per year
Level One Volunteer: In this level, you will learning most of the fundamentals in caring for animals in our collection.
- Indoor animals (Reptile Row, Roaches, Hermit Crabs, Geckos, Wood Turtles, Box Turtle, Fresh Water Habit, Guinea Pigs). Only care for those animals you are cleared for and always follow staff instructions.
- Prepare diets and clean enclosures, assist staff with routine veterinary care
- Landry, dishes, cleaning of counters and floors
- Clean windows, sweep and mop front room in animal corner
- Ethograms/behavioral observations
- Extra duties as assigned
(Must complete 50 hours of continual service in order to advance to Level Two).
Level Two Volunteer: In this level, you will be learning even more of the fundamentals in caring for animals in our collection.
- Level One Duties, plus:
- Indoor animals (Bullfrog, White’s tree frog, Salamanders, Scorpions, Tide pool, Screech Owl, Chinchillas, Hedgehogs, Rat). Only care for those animals you are cleared for and always follow staff instructions.
- Medication administration, Exercising animals, Enrichment, Deep cleaning mammals, handling of animals outside of medical care
- Extra duties as assigned
(Must complete 100 hours of continual service in order to advance to Level Three).
Level Three Volunteer: In this level, you have mastered the skills of basis animal husbandry, enrichment, and behavioral observations.
- Level One and Two Duties, plus:
- Indoor animals (Racket, Porcupine, Rat Snakes, Opossums). Only care for those animals you are cleared for and always follow staff instructions.
- Assist with public presentations
- Assist with training sessions
- Possibility of learning about operant conditioning
- Mentoring other volunteers in training of new duties
Please Note: Advancement from one level to the next is also contingent on your initiative and staff evaluation. Some animals may not be a good fit for everyone and even within the level, you may not interact with every species. This is in the best interest of the animals and the department as a whole.