The EcoTarium, a museum of science and nature, seeks high school students for community service teaching positions at the Summer Discovery Camp. Junior Counselors (JCs) will work closely with camp counselors to assist in the instruction of natural science programs to campers aged 5-12. Topics include but are not limited to: natural science, engineering, technology, astronomy, and group and team building games. Teaching is through hands-on and inquiry methods that encourage exploration, self- directed learning, and stewardship of the natural environment. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable teaching experience in the field of nature and science. JCs must attend a mandatory pre-camp training June 28 and June 29, 2018, and commit to a minimum of 2 weeks of camp. Summer camp begins July 2, 2018 and ends August 10, 2018.
- Must be at least 15 years old by July 1, 2018 to apply.
- Work experience teaching and/or working with children; camp experience a plus.
- Willingness to lead small games and activities with camper groups.
- Desire to teach about nature and science.
- Natural history knowledge a plus.
- Must have an enthusiastic attitude towards working with children.
- Ability to maintain safety and discipline in a fun and positive way.
- Be able to complete and turn in a medical history and permission forms by the start of training.
- Applicants and volunteers are subject to satisfactory CORI record investigation.
- Must have completed at least one year of high school.
- Must have dependable means of transportation
- Assist in the implementation of programs and activities to campers on a variety of natural history and science topics.
- Support the counselors with the supervision of camper’s safety.
- Commit to at least 2 weeks of camp, not including training week.
- Enhance curriculum with creative ideas and activities.
- Employ inquiry based teaching methods to stimulate learning.
- Actively participate in staff training and meetings.
- Encourage positive self-esteem of campers.
- Enthusiastically participate in all camp programs.
To apply, download and complete the Junior Counselor Application.
Completed applications, including additional statement of intent, may be emailed to both
or mailed to:
Teri Lynes, Coordinator of Volunteer Resources
EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604
For more information about the program, please contact the Camp Director,
Geoff McCann, at or 508.929.2755.
Applications are due by March 31, 2018. Late applications will not be accepted.