The EcoTarium is a unique indoor-outdoor museum in Worcester, MA. The Education Outreach Volunteer would help represent the EcoTarium at community events in the Greater Worcester area by engaging the public in a science activity.
Most community events take place in the evening or over the weekend, and range in length from four to eight hours. Volunteers are asked to commit to two community events within a year time period. Volunteers will be trained by the EcoTarium Education staff.
- Must be comfortable in engaging the public (of all backgrounds and ages)
- Excited about the EcoTarium’s mission – to inspire a passion for science and nature
- Ideal candidate is charismatic and friendly
- Reliable access to transportation throughout the Greater Worcester area
- Must be able to move at least 50 pounds, set up tables and banners
- Must be able to remain stationary for long periods of time, indoors or outdoors
- Must pass a CORI background check in accordance with EcoTarium guidelines
- Must have an interest in science, background/education in science a plus
Previous experience in formal, inquiry-based and/or experiential teaching is desirable
Function well in a high-volume sensory and stimulating environment, constantly interacting with the public
- Help EcoTarium staff set up displays and table
- Engage the community in activities from the EcoTarium’s outreach curriculum
- Promote upcoming events and activities at the EcoTarium or refer community questions to knowledgeable EcoTarium staff
- Upon request, transport activity materials from the museum to the event location
- Participate in mandatory EcoTarium outreach curriculum training prior to each event
Download the Volunteer Application.
Mail or e-mail the completed Volunteer Application to:
Coordinator of Volunteer Resources
222 Harrington Way
Worcester, MA 01604