The EcoTarium is a unique indoor-outdoor museum in Worcester, MA, with a mission to inspire a passion for science and nature.
The EcoTarium has a large collection of nearly 8,000 mineral specimens, including the renowned Henry Goddard Mineral Collection. The department is currently in the process of conducting a complete inventory of its holdings and every object inventoried brings us closer to this goal enabling us to better care for, exhibit and use objects in programming. Collection Minerology Volunteers will assist in inventorying, caring for and researching the EcoTarium’s historic mineral collection.
- Very detail oriented, careful and good basic computer skills
- Ability to work in inventorying teams as well as alone with little guidance
- Some previous knowledge of subject matter from schooling, work, or personal hobby
- Must go through basic orientation followed by completion of Collections 101 training
- Must be willing to communicate via email
- Must be able to commit to one year, and able to volunteer M-F between 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Must pass a CORI background check in accordance with EcoTarium guidelines
- Conduct a physical inventory of collections objects in storage (measure, photograph, document)*
- Reconcile inventoried pieces with existing records
- Input inventory records and photographs into the Museum’s PastPerfect Collections Database
- Assist with basic rehousing of collections objects
- Assist with basic cleaning of collections objects
- Conduct basic object identification research for unidentified specimens
- Help compile collections care and identification materials for ornithology specimens
*Collections storage is a dusty environment, and may aggravate asthma in individuals with extremely sensitive dust allergies